Saturday, May 26, 2012

Ghee

Until today, I had never heard of ghee. I now have a pint sized mason jar full of it in my kitchen.

I got a recipe off the an e-newsletter from Hungry for Change. The way the recipe referred to it, it "sounded like" it was simply a substitute for butter. Which it is. Sort of. Ghee is clarified butter, which is made from unsalted butter. Simply put, you take a pound of unsalted butter, boil it at medium high heat, reduce it to medium heat, boil it a little longer, and then carefully strain it through cheese cloth into heat resistant, airtight container. It should not be refrigerated, but left in your cupboard, or on the counter at room temperature. When preparing, I actually had to strain mine twice because I poured it too quickly from the sauce pan into my first container. I then strained it again, slower this time, so that it would catch all the solid foam particles which was defeating the purpose of it being clarified.

Here's the recipe I used to make it. I can't wait to try it :) You can use it in any recipe that calls for butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment