Monday, April 9, 2012

Juice Fast - Day 1

Okay, so I'm behind on updating this blog. Long story short, I hit a major plateau for about 2 months. I didn't gain, but I didn't lose either. I recently watched 2 new documentaries, Fact, Sick and Nearly Dead, and also Hungry for Change. As a result I'm now on a juice fast.

Today wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Folks at work think I'm nuts because I took a cooler to work. Not a single personal size cooler, no no, this was the "I'm going to the beach" cooler. Why? Because the amount of fruits and veggies I had to take with me to work would have taken up ALOT of room in the community fridge. I didn't want to hog the fridge with my craziness. So, the veggies took up about half the cooler, and there was still room in the cooler to put the pieces of my juicer in it. So yes... me, my cooler, my veggies and my juicer all took a happy trip to work today.

I had an Apple Kale juice this morning when I woke up- 2 apples and 1 kale leaf. A very simple, sweet, wake up breakfast juice. It was YUMMY. Almost couldn't taste the Kale - straight fresh apple juice which was to DIE for.

At 11am, I rolled my cooler into the break room, before the big lunch crowd started congregating in there. I set up my juicer, and pulled out the following: 2 celery stalks, 2 kale leaves, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 cucumber. I LOVED it. It was alot yummier than I honestly expected it to be. I think I had a bad experience last week with my first juicing concoctions where I used way too much spinach and kale and the taste was just.. blegh. This was good. I liked it.

At 2pm I made essentially the same juice as above except I used a yellow squash instead of a zucchini....and I realized after the fact that I forgot the carrot. You know whats funny about this? I HATE raw carrots. If I eat carrots, I want them cooked through and through, as soggy mush. I used too many carrots in the juices I experimented with last week and I could "taste" the carrot and I didn't like them. Well, by forgetting the 1 carrot in this particular mixture, it changed the WHOLE taste of the juice. I drank it, but it wasn't as good as the 11am version.

At 6pm, after I got home from work, I threw together another concoction. This one had a little more fruit. I'm trying to stay away from doing too much fruit because of the natural sugars, but I needed something yummy before the co-ed softball game tonight. So this one had an apple, a handful of grapes, 2 strawberries, 1 celery stalk, 1 kale leaf, 1 carrot, and a small handful of spinach. It was good - but it was sweet. It was definitely a FRUIT drink, and I know that I need more veggie based drinks rather than fruit drinks because of sugar.

It's now 10:30. I feel like I should make another juice before going to bed, but I've been drinking water, and surprisingly, I don't really feel hungry for another juice. That, and I feel too lazy to really go make one. I think I'm going to head to bed in a bit. I HOPE and pray I wont wake up starving in the middle of the night.

If the next 3-4 days are like today, I can totally do this. I did smell people's lunches today, and the mid afternoon popcorn snacks. Jonny cooked his dinner tonight...and all these other things. I'm not letting it get to me yet. I CAN do this. I'm not going 60 crazy like some people do. I'm going going to do 5 days right now. I can make it, I CAN do this. I can, and I will make juicing a regular part of my diet. WHOOP!

No comments:

Post a Comment